Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Eleanor Rigby

Ah, look at all the lonely people
Ah, look at all the lonely people

Madison is learning the words to Beatles songs. Her first song was Bungalo Bill, but we have begun to branch out, and one of the songs she is learning is Eleanor Rigby. She calls it the lonely lady song. I can listen to her sing for hours, especially when she stops shouting and starts singing.

Eleanor Rigby picks up the rice in the church where a wedding has been
Lives in a dream
Waits at the window, wearing the face that she keeps in a jar by the door
Who is it for?

Deanna Greene passed away recently. In many ways, she was Eleanor Rigby. She started at the museum when I did. I knew her, and was a part of her life, and she was a part of mine, for some time. I know she was a troubled soul, but not a bad person. In the end, she was alone, and I can not explain why, and am not going to try to right now, but for some reason that makes me incredibly sad.

All the lonely people
Where do they all come from ?
All the lonely people
Where do they all belong ?

I wonder, was this a choice that she made, or was it thrust upon her. Sometimes I know, we are all lonely, but how many of us are truly alone?

Father McKenzie writing the words of a sermon that no one will hear
No one comes near.
Look at him working. darning his socks in the night when there's nobody there
What does he care?

I know that she was a devout Catholic, so where I wonder, is her priest? The deacons from the church looking for a member of the community? I find most, mind you, I say most, Catholics and Christians, to be so full of crap. Few of them take Christ’s message to heart, oh yes, they will go to Church, or services, but in the real world they cannot be kind to others, not children, not siblings, not strangers. Unable to get past their own petty grievances they are rude, unkind, and need to make every situation about themselves. So I wonder, where is her church? My grandparents were church people, devoted church people, too bad that devotion seems to be mostly one way.

All the lonely people
Where do they all come from?
All the lonely people
Where do they all belong?

I’m tearing down my house, which was, at one time, my grandparent’s house. I have lived there for about 10 years, give or take. Over the past 5 years, Gabby and Madison, along with Cochise and Lulu, and I suppose myself, had managed to turn that house into a home. At some point, that choice was made, or I made it, however you may want to look at it. Tearing it down dredged up a remarkable amount of feeling that I was unaware of, walking through the shell, I can still hear the heartbeats of all the lives that lived there, and will live there again.

Eleanor Rigby died in the church and was buried along with her name
Nobody came
Father McKenzie wiping the dirt from his hands as he walks from the grave
No one was saved

I don’t pray often, and when I do, I tend to speak, mostly to myself, but I always figure that God can hear if he wants too. No one should be alone, especially at the end. I was not there for Deanna, no person was, but I hope that God was listening, and that the Divine was with her. I mourn her ending, and hope that heaven embraces her.

All the lonely people
Where do they all come from?
All the lonely people
Where do they all belong?

No comments: