Friday, April 10, 2009

The Seeds of Friendship

The seeds of Friendship


It’s been awhile since I have had something that I felt was compelling enough to write about, but I will, once again, write about friendship, and what, if anything, it means.  As a young person we scatter the seeds of friendship everywhere, tossing them about liberally.  I watch children doing it, I remember when I thought I had dozens, if not hundreds of friends, for I had cast seeds far and wide, and with reckless abandon, as did many others.


Many of these seeds bounced off the rocky and barren sol of indifference.  Others took root and were ripped out by the hand of anger, betrayal, lies, misunderstandings, and who can really remember all of those that trespass against us?  What about those that led us into temptation(Can you tell I went to Catholic sSchool!), were they all forgiven? Forgotten?  No matter.


The important thing is that, in my case anyway, some of those seeds took strong root.  This is not always apparent, because a root can lay dormant, but it is not dead.  Other seeds took root, and though you may have thought them strong they were, well, let’s just say they died, and some, for many years, left bare spots in the garden that is our life.  But life, just like a garden, has a way of filling in, and moving on.  This is a good thing, but alas, not what this blog is about.   


This blog is about those seeds that took root and flourished, well, no actually it isn’t.  It’s about those that took root, bloomed, then lay dormant.  Have I lost you?  My mind can wander when it’s late, so please bear with me.


In TLOR, when describing Aragorn(How Geeky am I?), a poem states the following:

All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost;

The old that is strong does not wither,

Deep roots are not touched by the frost.

That sentiment is what I am trying to describe.  You see, some friendships can lay dormant, because of situations, time, needs, and so many different reasons that it is pointless to try to list them, but those roots, if strong, can always come back.  They are never really dead, just waiting for the sun to shine on them, maybe a little cow shit and some water, but whatever they may need, some roots can never die. That is no to say that all the roots in our gardens can come back, no indeed, there may be no re-kindling, but it doesn’t mean it’s dead, or gone.  So when it can happen, and you let it happen, it can be a good thing.


That’s all I have to say about that.  

No comments: