Monday, January 5, 2009

Hop Kee

Some time in 1983 or 1984 I was brought to Mott Street in NYC, and led down the steps to a treasured gem, the Hop Kee restaurant in Chinatown.

I don't know if it was Kieth or Glenn that first led our party there, but it had to be one of them, as they were brought there by their fathers, who may have been brought by there fathers fathers, but who really knows. Hop Kee seems to be timeless, and yet, like all things, will not last forever.

Anyway, last night I sojourned there with my family, Billy, Cindy, Chelsea and Pat. We ate alot of dumplings, and beef chow fun, and sauteed spinach with garlic, and hot and sour soup, and snails cantonese and clams with balck beab sauce. We even had 2 new things, twice fried chicken(because one is just not enough) and sate chicken and beef sticks. It was alot of food, it was a great way to end the holidays, and I slept well last night. The hot and sour soup gave me a clear sinus, and I think that it has a medicinal value. The dumplings were just delicious, and so was everything else(except the twice fried chicken, once was probably enough).

Hop Kee, the service sucks, it's always crowded, and the waiters are a surly bunch, but damn it all to hell, I love that place!

No comments: